Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Canning is Cool

Growing up in the city, canning was not a regular activity.  I must admit that I used to think it was for those country bumpkins who live on the farm and run around bear foot all day. lol
Recently, I came across a recipe for Pumpkin Pecan Butter and decided to give it a try.  It was super easy and the result was delish so I decided to share.



Pumpkin Pecan Butter
(yields 6 8oz jars or 12 4oz jars)

Ingredients

    • 3 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
    • 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
    • 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
    • 4 1/2 cups sugar
    • 1 box surejell fruit pectin
    • 1/2 teaspoon margarine or 1/2 teaspoon butter
*I bought a large can of canned pumpkin with the pumpkin pie spice already mixed in to save time

Directions

  1. Measure pumpkin, pecans and pumpkin pie spice into 6- or 8-quart sauce pan.
  2. Prepare jars; keep lids hot until ready to fill jars.
  3. Measure sugar into separate bowl.
  4. Stir fruit pectin into pumpkin mixture.
  5. Add butter.
  6. Bring mixture to a rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly.
  7. Quickly stir in sugar.
  8. Return to rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly.
  9. Remove from heat.
  10. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
  11. Ladle quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops.
  12. Wipe jar rims and threads; cover with two-piece lids.
  13. Screw bands tightly; place jars in hot water.
  14. Boil in water bath for 5 minutes for 8oz jars
I used 4oz jars because I think they are cuter and more practical.  This yummy butter can be spread on just about anything that you would normally put jelly on.  I baked some pumpkin bread to go along with the butter.


                                          

4 comments:

  1. "country bumpkins who live on the farm and run around bear foot all day". LOL!! Love it!
    Sounds delicious! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait... I run around bare foot all day! Does that mean I'm a country bumpkin? =)

    This sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds wonderful - I am going to make this1! I never knew anyone who canned growing up, but I can things now, too. I love it! My favorite thing has been the dill pickles I made this summer...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. financial advisors

    This sure looks scrumptious. I've got to try making these and share it with my family. Hope they'll like it.

    ReplyDelete